Saturday, August 6, 2016

Promise....

When my son's first grade was over, he brought home lot of material - like worksheets completed in school, journals written in the classroom, craft-work etc.... I always like to go through all that he has done, like most mothers. And more so, because it gives me a peek into his mind. 

The journals that his teacher made the kids write was all about the things that happened everyday. So, it was more like a diary. The best part about reading a kid's diary is that there is no beating about the bush. They write their mind, literally. There is no 'construction' of the 'self' for the reader. They are autobiographies in their purest form. There is no embellishment of any sort. There are words that convey what happened, and there are pictures scribbled with the best possible effort. 

One such entry in the journal was 'Mother'. They had to write some things/facts about their mothers. It surprised me that he observed me so closely. He was correct on most of the things - like what I like to do, where I like to go etc. But the thing that struck me the most, the thing that touched me and tickled me to the core was the answer to the question - What do you like the most about your mom?

My son's answer was brief and straight - My mom never breaks a promise.

I cannot utter in words what this made me feel. I have told him time and again that a promise to yourself, or to your friend is something you ought to keep. There have been times when he saw that despite difficulties, I kept my word. He would ask me why and I would reply 'because I had promised'. I feel proud that he is imbibing that positive trait from me. A few words came to my mind and I write them here:

To be a true friend
Be true to your word
To be a good person
Be true to your word
A promise you make
Defines not who you are
But a promise you keep
Speaks volumes about you


Sometime back, I wrote a poem with my son in mind. You can read it here - Darkness Scares me Not, It Stares at my Greatness - We all are great if we choose to.... 




To read previous posts written for #BarAthon, see below:








10 comments:

  1. Aw what a wonderful testimonial from your child. Kids do remember such things. I never make too many promises to them these days because if I cannot keep them, then God help me :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Tulika...we should make promises only we can keep them. That happens with me too.... I just try my best...

      Delete
  2. Because I had promised - A fast vanishing trait it is. It is but natural for you to be proud of the fact that your son has imbibed this trait Sunaina 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Somali....I felt so happy when I read this....and I hope that the values he learns from me help him in his life.

      Delete
  3. Because I had promised - A fast vanishing trait it is. It is but natural for you to be proud of the fact that your son has imbibed this trait Sunaina 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful, Sunaina. The best part of a relationship is to know that you can trust the other implicitly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world is such a simple place in a child's eye. And what keeps it as they see it is a parent who keeps her promises, never breaking them. I can feel how you must have felt reading that line in your son's journal. He is proud of you. If someday I come to read a line as this from my son's notes, I am sure I will be shedding happy tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can feel the mother inside you writing these lines. Thanks Anamika....:)

      Delete
  6. How I missed this post in a Marathon. Its lovely Sunaina.
    So wise and cute of him to notice this good habit of yours.

    ReplyDelete