Monday, July 6, 2015

Sunshine Award - Surprised and Happy!

I have been nominated by someone I am learning to know - Purba Chakraborty - a blogger, a poet, a novelist, and above all, a heart-warming person with a beautiful voice. It is a coincidence that I had recently finished reading her book The Hidden Letters. If you have not read the book, please do that. It will keep you hooked till the end. It raised some questions in my mind- questions about love and guilt, about pain and compassion. I have a feeling that if given to a good director, it might make a good movie too!

Thanks Purba, for the nomination. Here are my answers to you followed by my nominations:

1. When did you join the blogging world? Did any incident/person inspire you to do so?

Last year in October. It was a time I was sinking low. My brother's death had left me shattered. Add to it the fact that I could not even meet him. I remember the last conversation we had, when he said 'I will send mom to you.' I was expecting my second child at that time. Papa and Bhai (my bro) are no more. Being far away in US, I used to feel so guilty having left my mom who misses me every moment. My best friend re-located to a different state. Things could not have been lonelier. Writing helped me ease out. It was a catharsis, an escape, a new window that opened for me. Life is extremely tough, I learnt. But if we need to keep afloat, we need to build a boat for ourselves and row it too. 

Since then, mom has been my guiding light. She doesn't read all that I write but she always encourages me. 

2. What is the best lesson that Life has taught you, till now?

Don't wait for the future. Live in today. There is nothing certain in life. It is good to make plans but don't just stick to them because you planned it that way. Be flexible and learn to go with the flow. Try to spread smiles. 
Don't leave things on destiny or God. Take steps.
Love with a true heart and learn to forget and forgive. Life is too short. Don't resent. 
Have a receptive heart.

3. What is the role that blogging plays in your life?

It is my heartbeat, my lifeline. As I mentioned earlier, it has helped me find succor. It has given me peace. I blog every week and going forward, I intend to engage in it more. I have found like-minded friends too - something I yearned for in the past. The writer in me is pining to write down a memoir on my mom. 

4. If you had a time machine, would you prefer revisiting your past or visiting your future? Why?

Yes. Go back to the time when my dad was falling prey to cancer cells. Wish I could stop that. If he was there with us today, my brother would be too. Wish I could change that.

5. Which is your all time favorite book that you can never get tired of reading?

There is not one but many:

Markus Zizack The Book Thief
Charles Dickens Dombey and Son
Samuel Beckett Waiting for Godot
Herman Melville Moby Dick
Nathaniel Hawthorne The Scarlet Letter
John Fowles The French Lieutenant's Woman
V S Naipaul A House for Mr. Biswas
Harivansh Rai Bachchan's poems
Short Stories by Tolstoy
Dario Fo's Plays
There is more in the list......!

6. Do you believe in letting go or holding on?

Hold on to love and let go of grudges. My husband says छोटी छोटी बातों का  समाधान दिल बड़ा करने से होता है  (Translation - The solution to small small things in life lies is having a big heart.) I love it when he says that and I try to follow it everyday.

7. Share a hilarious incident of your life.

I will share two incidents here.
I live in a world of my own, lost in thoughts. My brother would often laugh about it and make fun of me. Once, he came to pick me up from school. He honked. I looked in the direction. But I didn't see him. He honked again. I looked again but didn't see him. He honked one more time and I gave the same response. He had to finally come out and yell my name. And we laughed our way back home.

My husband went to the library with me six year old to get some children's books. He goes inside and asks my son where the books are. My son goes blank. They both have visited the library an umpteen number of times with me! The library is closing in ten minutes. My hurried husband picks up the books - Young adult Spooky stories for Halloween, Rhymes in Chinese, Radioactivity and Marie Curie, Steve Jobs, Learn Hebrew. He calls me and says he has picked up some books but didn't see the titles. But he is so sure they are good. When the twosome reach home and have a look, I just burst out laughing. Steve Jobs is a good choice, he smiles and says!


8. What are your thoughts about my blog?

Purba, you are a wonderful, passionate writer whose poems are heart-warming. I am sharing some personal favorites for my readers. Do spare sometime to read them. 





Thanks to all my friends who have been a strong support in my life.

Rules

  • Thank the person who nominated you.
  • Answer the questions from the person who has nominated you.
  • Nominate some other bloggers for this award.
  • Write the same amount of questions for the bloggers you have nominated.
  • Notify the bloggers you have nominated

As per rule, I would like to nominate a few bloggers for the Sunshine Blogging Award. 






My questions are

1) What if your life's mantra?

2) What makes you laugh?

3) What was the best piece of advise you got? Who was it from?

4) Half of the world voted for blue as their favorite color in a recent survey. Do you  groove for blue too? 

5) Do you read newspapers? Why or why not?

6) Teacher - memories that the word evokes.....

7) Is blogger the new story writer-journalist-poet?

8) If you were to share one of your favorite blog posts, which would it be? What made you write it?





10 comments:

  1. It was wonderful to know so much about you dear. I admire your resilience and wisdom that is reflected clearly in these answers. I got to learn a lot from you, especially from the lesson that life has taught you and your concept of letting go and holding on.

    I always like to read you as your poems and articles have such a close connection with reality. After knowing about you, I understood from where that wisdom comes from. I am really sorry to know about your loss and felt glad that blogging could bring a lot of peace in your life.

    You are a wonderful soul. Be the magic you are and keep spreading your sunshine always. Thank you so much for the words of appreciation. You made my day. Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Purba.....You gave me a chance to express myself and tell others why I am here. I enjoy reading your blog a lot and the appreciation that comes from my heart is something you well deserve....:)

      Delete
  2. Such a wonderful post here Sunaina :) Straight out from heart. So glad to connect and happier to have been nominated by you. Thanks a lot. Thanks for sharing straight out. The love, connections and the you are so clear in these words. Best Wishes. Keep writing!

    And, thanks for sharing the posts. I am reading them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shanx.....You are a wonderful writer and it would be good to know more about you....:)...Waiting for your answers.....:)....Thanks for your kind words. Do come back to my blog again and encourage me.

      Delete
  3. It’s good to know you, Sunaina, a little more. You are really a wonderful person. I must say you have a great taste of books. Enjoyed reading your hilarious moments.

    I could understand very well how much you miss your father & brother. May they rest in peace! I too lost many loved ones. In fact, whom I loved, they left me – my mother, my girlfriend, my uncle... I don’t know why God also loved those whom I loved. Later, I realized that we have same taste in terms of persons. :)

    You know you’re a very strong lady. There’s lot to learn from your perspective on life. I really look forward to know you better as a person. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ravish.....Thanks for all that you said. Just when I felt that I was at the bottom of an abyss, drowned in my own ocean of sorrows, I saw your tears and pulled myself out to wipe away your grief. I am sorry for your losses and I wish you strength, good friends and good times.Although I don't know much about you, I owe you a lot given your valuable comments and feedback not just on my blog but at other places as well. You are a wonderful human being and I wish you happiness in future. Thanks once again, a heart-felt thanks, for all that you said and all that you do....:)

      Delete
  4. "छोटी छोटी बातों का समाधान दिल बड़ा करने से होता है " ... how true

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your post. What you said is very true..Some Lines which i love it- "Don't think about future, Live in Today. It is good to make Plan but just don't stick on them". ""छोटी छोटी बातों का समाधान दिल बड़ा करने से होता है "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mona.....if only we don't forget this valuable message in our lives.....:)

      Delete