Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Waiting....

As I sat today wondering what to write, I came across these beautiful lines shared on Carpe Diem Special #178 Michael Dylan Welch's "first day of school"

first day of school—
I eat my buckwheat pancakes
in silence


© Michael Dylan Welch


The beauty and the simplicity with which deep emotions were expressed simply blew me away. That is what makes poetry so special. It touches that inner sanctum with so much affection that it melts you away completely.

Being a mother of two children, with one being a first grader, I have felt the silence that the poet mentions here. When we get used to our kids being around so much, there absence causes a turmoil that has no words. We feel happy that they are moving on, and yet, something becomes vacant in our hearts. Isn't it? I am sure many have felt that pang. 

First day of school is so special. With jittery kids, with even more jittery but not-showing-it parents, we anxiously wait for the bus. Kisses and hugs, goodbyes and tears, pats on the shoulder and so many thumbs-up, this and much more - yes, first days are special


First day of school - 
Eyes look at clock all day long -
Waiting for the bus...



Image Source here


Written for Carpe Diem Special #178 First Day of School

26 comments:

  1. Ah, my mommy friends will agree with you. Having them around is blissful. And, you are so right about poetry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Saru......I hope you will share it with your friends....:)

      Delete
  2. Poetry hits the right chord (amazingly different for different people :D ) That's a nice simple Haiku to write up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Today is the first day of second semester for my D. She seemed eager but my heart was heavy.
    Nice read. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww......She will be fine, I am sure Indrani.....:)

      Delete
  4. Nice expression Sunaina. Particularly true when there is a change in school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm dreading the day my toddler shall start school :(
    Lovely post Sunaina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry....Stay strong....they catch the vibes from you.....Thanks for stopping by Leena....

      Delete
  6. How perfectly you describe it. Even now taht they ar quite grown up I still wait anxiously until they return from school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Celestine....Thats how we mothers are, isn't it....!

      Delete
  7. I am sure mommies keep watching the clock when its time for their children to return home even when they are twelve years old...I do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Shoma.....we can never let go of them.....:)

      Delete
  8. Awe
    So true
    Being a mother of two toddlers I can also relate with you

    ReplyDelete
  9. Children are a delight by themselves. And then first days, of course, have their own delights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Sir...sometimes jittery delights if you have a son who is an over-thinking being....:)

      Delete
  10. Just perfect! --as a teacher I know that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dolores.....You are a teacher...amazing......:)

      Delete
  11. i can understand BUt the little one is having a ball of a time in school I am sure :)
    they are enjoyingggggggg


    Bikram's

    ReplyDelete
  12. The middle line is the essence of this haiku...not that the whole is any less, but this comes true in a lot many other situations too..very beautiful indeed:)
    Kind of 'Universal' if I may say..

    ReplyDelete